Coming in late this year, the day of pancake making is on Tuesday 5th March and thankfully that is almost upon us. Every year I say “god I love pancakes I’m going to make these more often”, then low and behold it’s Shrove Tuesday all over again. It is in no way different this time around either.
Although I’ve posted some truly irresistible pancakes (FYI find 11 of them HERE) today is a little different. Today’s post is to get you in the pancake mood with a couple of oaty pancake recipes courtesy of White’s Oats.
We all know there are benefits to eating oats and frankly I am all over putting down the porridge and picking up the pancakes. Using organic oat flakes that are gently steamed and rolled for a supremely creamy taste and hearty texture, White’s are giving you a leg up in the pancake game and pimping your stack for Insta-ready pancake inspiration…
Personally I didn’t have a clue that White’s have such an array of products. But these two recipes use both their Jumbo Organic Oats and Hazelnut, Almonds & Honey granola. Let’s get cracking with this and taste the journey with White’s Oats.
OAT PANCAKES WITH MAPLE SYRUP, CACAO SAUCE AND CHOCOLATE CHIPS (dairy free)
100g White Jumbo Organic Oats
200 ml soya milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3tbsp maple syrup
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Fry a ladle full at a time in coconut oil until golden
- Drizzle over maple syrup and scatter on chocolate chips
- (Optional) Make a chocolate sauce by mixing together plain soya yoghurt, cacao powder and maple syrup
CRUNCHY APPLE AND CINNAMON BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
These pancakes are great with fresh fruit and agave nectar drizzled over or served warm with fruit and a scoop of ice cream for dessert.
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
75g (3oz) White’s Hazelnut, Almonds & Honey granola
300g (10oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 medium eggs
284 ml carton buttermilk
75g (3oz) salted butter, melted
2 large red skinned apples, cored and coarsely grated
½ tsp sunflower oil
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre and beat in the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and grated apple.
- Add a little oil to a large non-stick frying pan and swipe clean with a piece of kitchen paper. Heat the pan. Add 3 large spoonful’s of the pancake batter to the pan and allow to spread to about 6cm. Cook for 1-2 minutes until bubbles appear on the top of the pancake. Sprinkle each with a little granola and flip over and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes. Cover and keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes – until you have about 12 pancakes. Serve with extra yoghurt, fresh fruit and agave nectar to drizzle.
The pancake batter is thick – don’t be tempted to add milk to thin it down. The pancakes may need a little help with a spoon to spread to 6cm however they will be light and fluffy on cooking.
Hope these recipes get you thinking outside the normal pancake box!
Nibbles ‘n’ Scribbles
* Recipe’s and Pictures from White’s Oats