Who said that oats are strictly just for brekkie? Summer is well and truly here and with that comes the entertaining, garden parties, picnics or just lighter meals. White’s Oats are here to give us some sun-spiration with these delicious recipes.
There are of course benefits to eating oats. They’re an excellent source of fibre, protein, vitamins and antioxidants and help to keep us fuller for longer. Using organic oat flakes White Oats are gently steamed and rolled for a supremely creamy taste and hearty texture. And they are certainly for more than just a bowl of porridge.
Today there are two recipes that I wanted to share because frankly I looked at them and immediately wanted to eat them. I’ve never thought of granola being savoury, however their Asian chicken salad proves there can be and that it works so well!!
Take a look at these two summer recipes, I bet you will feel the same way too ….
Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad
Fresh, crisp, vibrant and full of flavour – great for a lunch or simple dinner
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
100g (31/2oz) White’s Jumbo Organic Oats
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp. reduced salt soy sauce
25g (1oz) salted peanuts, finely ground
2 tbsp. Thai fish sauce
1 lime – finely grated rind and juice
2 tsp caster sugar
2 cooked skinless roast chicken breasts, shredded
1 romaine lettuce, trimmed and torn onto pieces
1 large handful fresh coriander leaves
1 small red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
½ cucumber, halved, deseeded and sliced on the diagonal
1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded
1 small fat red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 160*C/fan oven 140*C/Gas mark 3. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Mix together the oats, olive oil, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and peanuts until well combined. Spread out onto the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once during cooking until golden brown. Allow to cool completely and then break into pieces.
- In a large bowl mix together the fish sauce, lime rind and juice and caster sugar. Toss in the shredded chicken, lettuce, coriander, red onion, cucumber and carrot to evenly coat. Pile onto a serving plate.
- Scatter the savoury granola and red chilli (if using) over the salad and serve immediately.
Cook’s tip: Store the savoury granola in an airtight jar and use within 1 week.
Oaty Strawberry Cheesecake Tart
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus chilling time.
Cooking time: 22 minutes
A rich buttery oat case with a creamy filling and topped with ripe plump glazed strawberries – It’s a classic – perfect for a summer party or picnic.
- 100g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) White’s Jumbo Organic oats
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 300g (10oz) full fat cream cheese
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 400g (14oz) fresh ripe strawberries, hulled and halved 3 tbsp strawberry
- Preheat the oven to 160*C/fan 140*C/Gas mark 3. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the oats and flour and mix to a soft dough. Spoon into a deep 20cm/8in fluted loose bottomed flan tin and press evenly up the sides and into the base using the back of a spoon. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and while still warm use the back of a metal spoon to re-press the crust into the base and sides of the tin. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cream cheese and lime zest until smooth and spread over the biscuit base to cover. Arrange the strawberries over the top to completely cover the filling.
- Heat the jam and 2tbsp lime juice. Sieve and brush over the strawberries to glaze. Serve immediately.
The oat base for this tart also makes great cookies. Simply make up as above, divide the mixture into 15 equal sized pieces. Roll into balls and place evenly spaced apart onto a couple of lightly greased baking sheets. Flatten each ball slightly with your fingertips and then bake as above for 20 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight tin for up to 2 weeks.
See what did I tell you. Utterly delicious!
Nibbles ‘n’ Scribbles x
*Pictures and recipes from White’s Oats